How you may be feeling
As you near the end of your pregnancy, you may be feeling exhausted and drained – both physically and emotionally. Your bump is getting bigger and bigger as your baby grows and this may result in aches and pains in your back or hips, a very over-active bladder and difficulty sleeping. At the same time you may veer between being excited about your baby arriving and anxiety about the birth and becoming a Mum. This is all completely normal! And having some pregnancy reflexology can help you to relax, sleep better as well as help prepare your body and mind for giving birth.
“Preparation for giving birth” treatment
The aim of this treatment is to help support and balance your body as you prepares for giving birth and can promote relaxation at at time when anxiety levels are often high. It can help you to feel calm and centred and in a good place, feeling ready and prepared to birth your baby. This type of reflexology should only be carried out by a qualified Pregnancy Reflexologist with specialist training in this area.
What does this treatment involve?
Reflexology for birthing appointments involve a full pregnancy health consultation to check that reflexology is indeed right for you and your baby at this time. Then a reflexology treatment is given during which lots of relaxation and hormone balancing techniques are used to help your body and mind get in the right place.
The health and wellbeing of you and your baby are paramount so prior to your appointment I will take a full history to ensure that it is safe and appropriate to give you reflexology and if necessary you will be referred to your midwife or consultant to confirm that they are happy for you to have a treatment. Situations in which reflexology would not be recommended include:
- Serious health conditions such as placenta praevia, hypertension (high blood pressure), polyhydrios (excess amniotic fluid), high risk of pre-eclampsia,
- You are booked in for a planned caesarian section for medical reasons,
- This is a multiple pregnancy,
- The baby is breech,
- The baby’s head is not engaged/is high,
- You have had a previous stillbirth,
- You have had recent vaginal bleeding or reduced foetal movements.
Please note that you must bring your maternity notes with you to your appointment so that I can clarify important health details. Failure to do so will mean that I cannot treat you.
Your initial Pregnancy appointment is £80 and will include:
- An online health form to complete & return prior to your consultation,
- A Pregnancy Health consultation over the phone, where we discuss your general health as well as your health during pregnancy, it also allows me to make sure that it is safe and appropriate to give you a treatment, this call usually takes around 20-minutes,
- A 70-minute in-person appointment which includes a full reflexology treatment tailored to preparing your mind & body for birth and some aftercare information with self-treatment points that you can use during the birth.
If you’d like to find out more please get in touch.