I have been interested in human biology, health and disease from a young age. I was a Red Cross cadet as a teenager and went on to study Biology at Imperial College London, gaining a First class B.Sc. (Hons) degree in 1994. I then studied for a Masters degree in Infectious Diseases at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School (now part of Imperial College London). I carried on specialising, achieving a Ph.D. in Medical Bacteriology (on Salmonella typhimurium) at Imperial College London in 2000.
Reflexology Qualification and Post-graduate training
- May 2009: Level Three Diploma in Reflexology, from the Philip Salmon School of Reflexology (an Association of Reflexologists approved course).
- 2009-2011: courses in Foot Reading, Stress Management, Maternity Reflexology and Baby Reflexology.
- 2012-2017: courses in Reflexology & cancer care, Mindful Reflexology, Hot Stone Reflexology & Crystal Reflexology.
- 2018-2019: in-depth courses in Structural Reflexology and Reflexology Lymphatic Drainage (RLD)
Jin Shin Jyutsu
- March 2021: I qualified to teach Jin Shin Jyutsu self-help with the Mary Burmeister JSJ Institute – this followed the completion of 5 JSJ self-help courses (3 with official JSJ instructors Sara Harper, Cynthia Broshi, Wayne Hackett and Carlos Gutterres) and a deeper dive into teaching self- help through a Living the Art course with Sara Harper. I also completed the Advanced Program to teach Jin Shin Self-help with the Jin Shin Institute in New York in May 2020. I have been attending self-help classes since August 2016.
- March 2021: I qualified as a Jin Shin Jyutsu Practitioner with the Mary Burmeister JSJ Institute in Scottsdale, Arizona. This involved taking a mixture of in-person and online 5-day classes with official instructors Anita Willoughby, Sara Harper, Wayne Hackett and Carlos Gutterres. I have been attending practitioner classes and training since September 2017.
- 2020-2021: during the pandemic I have attended multiple online Jin Shin webinars, courses and study groups covering different aspects of using JSJ, including sleep, breathing, the immune system, fatigue, stress & anxiety, astrology and working with animals.
Qualifications in other Holistic Therapies
- Oct/Nov 2011: 2-day Thai Foot Massage training course at The School of Thai Yoga Massage, included 4 case studies.
- August 2013: 1-day Ear Candling training course at Harmony Health Professionals, included 2 cases studies.
- May 2019: 2-day Ayurvedic Kansa Wand Facelift Massage course with Mary Dalgleish, included 3 case studies.
- October 2012-2013: One year Fertility Awareness Advanced Practitioner course taught by Fertility Counsellor Jane Knight (of Zita West Clinics) and Dr Cecilia Pyper (Research Fellow at University of Oxford) of Fertility UK. This included 3 case studies.
- 2014, 2017, 2019: study days at Fertility UK to up-date skills and knowledge in Fertility Awareness.
Continuous professional development (CPD)
I continue to develop my knowledge and hone my skills so that I can provide the most beneficial and up-to-date treatments to all my clients. This CPD involves continued study and reading (I have a huge library of reflexology, Chinese medicine and holistic therapy books!)
I regularly attend seminars, workshops and training courses to ensure that I keep up-to-date with current techniques and developments within the holistic health field. And, when we are not in lockdown, I also have regular treatments with other local therapists.